From the national road to the south axis, after Himara we get to the left of the motorway where we are driving towards Piluri, which rises to 700 meters high. From afar, it looks like a bunch of trees surrounded by an enormous stone curtain.
A LITTLE VILLAGE
The village of Piluri is part of the municipality of Himara and it is located several kilometres north of the town centre. The village of Piluri has a population of more than 500 inhabitants but most of them immigrated in different cities and countries. The population now it’s no more than 50 and its just rises a bit during summer vacation where people coma and spend the holidays with their relatives.
A HUMBLE PAST
Known as the Coastal Balcony, this village is located somewhere else from where it was founded. The name "Piluri" first appeared in 1431-1432 as part of Sopoti (today Borshi, about 20 kilometres south) with a total of 13 houses.
In 1720, the village of Palasa together with Drymades, Vuno, Himara, Piluri and Qeparo refused to submit to Pasha of Delvina. Until the 1750 Palasa was part of a larger Himara region that consisted of 52 villages, but by the continuous raids made by the Turkish empire the region was reduced to only 16 villages and later on by the defeat of Ali Pasha it shrunk to 7 villages until today.