The massive stretch of sand at Borshi is surrounded by olive groves, grazing goats and high mountain peaks. It’s one of the least developed of Albania’s main Riviera beaches and one of the largest (7 kilometres long). Fingers crossed it stays that way.
A LITTLE VILLAGE
Borshi is a maritime village, in the Albanian Riviera, in the former Lukove municipality, which at the 2015 local government reform it became part of the municipality Himara. The village is inhabited by Muslim Albanians who speak the Lab dialect of Albanian. Despite its small size Borshi has a collection of settlements that stretch from the beach to the mountain side, it has a population of 2500 inhabitant and as the rest of the villages this number is much smaller due to immigration.
AN UNKNOWN PAST
Borshi in antiquity was part of Chaonia, of the ancient region of Epirus. Not too much is known of the settlement in the Byzantine era, until it is mentioned as Sopoti in 1258 when it was part of the Despotate of Epirus that grew out after the fall of Byzantine empire. Borshi went through a period of considerable turmoil, changing hands several times between the Despotate of Epirus and Norman crusades invaders before being taken by the Turks in 1431.
The castle of Sopoti is an ancient fortification originally built in the fourth century B.C. by the Epirote tribe of Chaons. The castle was heavily damaged during the barbarian invasions of the fifth and sixth centuries A.D., and it was rebuilt in the Middle Ages at which time it took the name of Sopoti Castle, before becoming known as Borshi castle.